Week 16, 2023: Development and Testing Updates

Release Information

v1.10 :new:

The release will be staggered over the next couple of days starting from today 17 April till 24th of April

Devices that missed v1.9

• Oneplus 7T hotdogb stable s build yet to be released. Will add as part of v1.10
  • zuk z2_plusā€¦with v1.10

In case your device is missing on v1.9, please do let me know in this thread.

Previous 5 releases & user feedback

Issues on the forum

• Since the middle of last week, users on the forum have reported multiple issues including
    • slow load time
    • disappearing Avatars
    • read posts not refreshing and showing up as unread
      The issues have been shared with the infra/web team. The team is working on resolving the issue.
      :new: Apl; 21 Update The issues were resolved late yesterday evening. Pl let me know if you still face any issues with the forum performance.

Next set of development updates

• /e/OS T or Android 13
  • New and improved version of the Bliss Launcher
  • An /e/OS T build for a tablet. Will share tablet name once we have the final builds ready

The initial builds look promising. Expect the release in about 1-2 months.

Testers required

:point_right: GS290 OS OTA upgrade testing.

:point_right: User on the verizon network in the US, Testing new devices being released in the US.

What we look for in the testers

Murena cloud update / upgrade

• Nextcloud 24.0.10 upgrade and a bunch of other fixes have been implemented
  • Check out the details of what has been updated or upgraded here

Self-hosted eCloud upgrade

GSI

v1.10 :new:

• Download here
    • Sources available here
    • version is /e/OS Q (A10)
    • S (A12) and R (A11) version of GSI yet to be planned. Awaiting developer availability

OS OTA upgrades

Completed

• Oneplus nord aviccii >> A12(stable)
  • FP4 >> R ( A11) to S (A12)stable
  • FP3 >> R (A11) to S (A12) stable
  • FP3 >> Q (A10) to R (A11) stable
  • OnePlus Nord >> Q ( A10) to R (A11) (stable build)
  • Samsung s7 / s7+ >> Nougat (A7) to Q (A10)
  • Samsung s9 / s9+ >> Oreo (A8) to Q (A10)
  • Samsung s8 /s8+ >> Pie (A9) to R (A11) OTA upgrade

Under development

• Galaxy S9/S9+ Q (A10)ā†’ Android 11 (R)
  • GS290 Q (A10)ā†’ Android 11 (R) :new: Testing to start

Upgrade your device :information_source:

• As mentioned previously we are dropping support of multiple OS versions on the same device.
  • Upgrade your device to the latest OS version available. For example if /e/OS R (Android 11) builds are available for your /e/OS Q (Android 10) build, upgrade to the latest version which in this case would be A11.

Support dropped :cry:

/e/OS support has been dropped for these devices

• All Nokia devices
    • It is not possible to officially unlock Nokia bootloaders + lack of dedicated maintainer
  • Google Google Nexus 7 2013 flox
    • Device has partition size issues. Not able to build /e/OS ROMs for this device even with minimal build

:nerd_face: Minimal build is a setting in /e/OS build which removes the following default applications ( LibreOffice viewer, PDFViewer, Maps and Weather )from the source code and builds a smaller version of the ROM.

Check realtime availability of /e/OS and related services websites

eCloud related websites

/e/OS related

OS upgrade info specific to the FP3 The FP3 OTA OS update from Pie to Q/R is not possible as encryption method changed on FP3 between Pie and Q/R. It is not possible to change the method while updating. The team spent a great deal of time on this, but has not been able to resolve this problem. For now, the manual process is the only way to upgrade the FP3 from pie to other OS versions.
End of official support for Nougat, Oreo and Pie šŸ˜ž For Pie, Oreo and Nougat the official /e/OS support draws to a close.

Reasons for dropping official support are:

• newly released applications like App Lounge, Advanced privacy code has not been customized for these OS versions.
  • lack of dedicated ROM Maintainers
  • no support upstream (Lineage dropped support for Pie sometime back)
  • device trees will continue to exist in the Gitlab and users with build skills can create custom ROMs on these builds
  • Security patches and vendor patches for the Pie, Oreo and Nougat code will be updated based on availability.

:nerd_face: Google stops security patches for OS after some time. Similarly, Vendors drop support for older models when they release newer models in the market. Then it depends on developers from various communities to backport the patches.

Device and Vendor specific Announcements

:loudspeaker: Gigaset GS290

• We have stopped the sales of the Gigaset GS290 on the eSolutionsShop as the vendor has stopped production of the device. We will continue support for existing users.

:loudspeaker: Message being shared on the request of our vendor partners

• Vendors whose phones we sell on our eSolutions Store do not directly sell /e/OS flashed devices.
  • The vendors only sell their devices with their own stock ROM.
  • To get pre flashed /e/OS phones, you have to purchase them from the eSolutions Shop.

:loudspeaker: /e/OS Pre flashed device sales

• We sell directly in EU, US, Canada.
  • Find details of what devices are available in which countries here eSolutions Shop.
  • In Australia we do not sell directly. You can purchase preflashed /e/OS devices from this site

:loudspeaker: Murena One released
A phone from Murena with /e/OS installed has been launched and is available for purchase. Check the device specs here

Expect more device releases from Murena in future :grinning:

:nerd_face: Murena is the brand name and /e/OS is the operating system.

/e/OS Links

Support

• Facing issues with devices you purchased from us ? Send a mail with details to helpdesk@e.email

Websites

Telegram Channel

Social Media

Newsletters

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

15 Likes

Thanks and kindest regards to the whole team for both the ongoing stabilization of existing builds and the progress concerning Android T.

7 Likes

@Manoj wrote:

Fixes and updates coming in this build

Is this list complete? I was wondering because I had expected to see for instance the camera issue (which apparently affects several devices) in that list as well.

Kind regards
Ingolf

I wonder, if the ā€œdevā€ build without beta flag for ā€œlavenderā€ will be continued? It seems to stuck to ā€œe-1.8.1-q-20230207257879-dev-lavenderā€ since the beginning of February. The beta branch keeps developing (1.10 since a few days).
Is it possible to upgrade from 1.8.1-q to 1.10-r (beta) without data loss?

I guess we do not know why ā€œbetaā€ is attributed to this device ā€¦ but it implies that the build has had less testing than a build which had been released from beta.

My guess would be that if released beta is ok ā€¦ but one might be an ā€œearly adopterā€ and in a position to https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/report-an-issue if there are issues still to resolve.

I guess that moving towards ā€œup to dateā€ builds ā€¦ is better than sticking with the old and trusted which cannot be continued indefinitely.

Check

It says there is a camera fix:

Camera

• The behaviour for devices with one camera only (like FP2 or A3) has been fixed

beta tags are attached to devices without dedicated maintainers or testers.

3 Likes

Any news on this? I am still seeing ā€˜Unreadā€™ counts nt being updated when I read a previously unread post

1 Like

Team is still working on this. No ETAs for task completion. Will update once I have any positive inputs

5 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts. If there are no testers and no dedicated maintainers, I prefer to stick with the non-beta ROM. I use the lavender as a daily grear, not for testing proposals.

1 Like

The behaviour for devices with one camera only (like FP2 or A3) has been fixed

Thatā€™s great! So apparently someone just forgot to add the issue to the milestoneā€¦

Cheers
Ingolf

For those of you who want to avoid the hassle of restoring all their apps after upgrading, you may want to read how I upgraded my FP2 from Q to R without wiping /data.

2 Likes