e/OS + Android OS version names and numbers?

I know I saw a post about this but I cant find it, I hope asking here is OK.

Where is the list that tell the e/OS version and the parallel Android version.

Like I think e/OS R is equal to Android 11. Is there a complete list for when upgrading versions to be equal when starting out?

2 Likes

1 Like

Addendum Android 11 (R) ceased Android security patches ~ Feb 2024.

20 Likes

Frequently asked “Version” questions

How do I find the /e/ version and Android version installed on my /e/ phone?

Find your /e/OS + Android version information

In /e/OS currently supported devices one finds /e/OS version in

Settings > About phone > Android version > /e/OS version

In supported /e/ it is expected that /e/OS version will copy to clipboard – an easily shared match with the naming convention.

System Updater shows the /e/ version, in one line and the Android version in the second line. The build type | release channel and the device codename are missing, so an image from System updater shares less information with others who may be able to provide device specific help.

What changed between /e/ versions v0.nn and v1.0 onwards?

The introduction of /e/ version 1.0

In May 2022 v1.0 introduced App Lounge [1] – an upgraded “version 2” of the previously installed Apps
and Advanced Privacy which itself includes
Hide My IP and
Fake My Location

[1] App Lounge is mentioned as a sub-heading, linked, in this larger page Calls to Google servers

The “no longer supported” builds stopped at v0.23 or earlier, device dependent.

Can I edit this post?

Yes!

Under Construction! :construction:
This an “editable by all” post where more up to date information can be shared. Kudos to @AnotherElk for feedback by PM, especially to draw attention to /e/ versions being primarily /e/ updates at monthly / six weekly intervals, while Android versions may change very roughly annually. /e/ has to be built again when Android versions change, so this is not expected to arrive for some time after a new Android version becomes available for a device. @aibd

Proposal: text in italics will probably be deleted from the final wiki post. Feel free to “talk” here, or to add known accurate material above. @aibd

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s it!..now i understand!All the numbers can confuse you. Then everything is ok and I try again with the easy-installer.In addition, until recently I had an iPhone, Android and so it is still completely new to me.

1 Like

So, only a few days away from version T. Finally able to install on the Oneplus7t Pro again!

As I understand it, notifications aren’t available for when updates to a new major version i.e. from 12-13, only for minor updates i.e. 11.1-11.2.
Does anyone know how to find out when the next major version is available?

Developments are updated weekly to all users in this section

So at today’s date (week 28) we read

/e/OS T builds

Status : :green_circle: Postponed to August along with v1.14 :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I think if your combination of device and /e/OS build qualifies for an available OTA upgrade (= upgrade of the Android version via updater, see the development updates @aibd linked to for such announcements), the updater will notify you as with any other available update.

Updater only notifies for same major version. I was on 10 for 2 years and only found out about 12 through happenstance. Based on development noted, 13 should be available next month but would still be nice to be notified.
That being said, I don’t know for sure but I imagine it works this way because going on in major versions requires going back to stock rom first then updating that then installing /e/.

I’ve gone from 11 to 12 OTA.

1 Like

I must’ve gotten bad info. Thanks @Jets!

In case of the OnePlus Nord OTA upgrades should have been offered from Android 10 to 11 and from 11 to 12, both are listed as completed at https://community.e.foundation/tag/development-updates .

OTA upgrades are only available on stable builds so far.
Are you on the stable or dev release channel? See [HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc

That being said, informing oneself in the forum is a safe way to get to know supposedly available updates. An updater can malfunction, a notification might not be shown etc.

The build download pages mentioned in the manual install instructions can be used to look up new versions, too.

1 Like